The main attraction to Key West for me is the 90 miles to Cuba marker (the Southernmost Point marker) that everyone visits and the beaches, but I know there is a lot more to Key West. In searching for information on Key West, I just discovered that it is known as the "Winter White House" due to its appeal to U.S. presidents - I didn't know this!! Key West has also been home to Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams - 2 literary greats-interesting. I love visiting places with so much history - its one of the reasons I love & recommend Newport, RI so much! So, now to find things to do.
I came across this travel guide on Trip Advisor, and it is for a 1-day trip - which right now it looks like that is all we will spend there. It was called, One Day in Key West by Tanya A.
Here she listed 8 places to visit in one day and even mapped it out.
So, she recommended eating at Blue Heaven - known for its great Key Lime pies, The Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, US 1 Mile marker 0, The Southernmost Point (which was already on my list), Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park, Sloppy Joe's restaurant, Mallory Square and Duval Street. She offers her take on each place and provides tips on each destination. The information is very useful. From everything I read, I will be looking to visit:
- The Southernmost Point - although surprised to learn that there may be a long line for a picture, oh well - I'll try to make it there early!
- Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum - What can I say-I love this stuff & hubby and kids may have their objections but it's my vacation too! Besides, I'm curious to see the six-toed cats
- Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park - I'm here for the beach after all & we can visit the 1845 fort!!
- Mallory Square - This I will attempt since it will involve just sitting around to wait for the sunset. Maybe the family will enjoy something to eat and the local performers while we wait.
- Duval Street - I will enjoy stopping in all of the stores, even though I really shouldn't be buying anything...LOL
I saved some of these on my TripAdvisor account - this guide was very helpful. Next, I found The Visit Florida, Key West site. This site had everything about Key West, which I'm sure Trip Advisor has as well but I didn't keep looking. Here I discovered there is a Ripleys Believe It or Not Museum, and an Aquarium. I will be adding both to my list since my kids would love both! There are several other museums that I want to look into - if I have time I may squeeze them in. There are also fishing charters that I may look into since hubby & baby girl are dying to go fishing!
There is plenty to do and now I'm thinking we should make it a 2-3 day trip. Hmmmm....lots to think about. There are a few other places I will be looking at to add to my Key West Trip and next week I'll be researching St. Augustine.
Have any of you been to Key West?
Do you have suggestions for our family trip?